Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Get Write Wednesday 3


Having a teenager in the home is everything it's cracked up to be, and I fear I've exhausted every method I can conjure to help him see the light. What I realized just very, very recently is that I should apply a bit of my own "methodology" and advice.

My biggest fall-back lecture is almost always, "What would happen if I displayed that exact same action at my office?" His answer is almost always, "I'd get fired."

So why, then, am I exhibiting a behavior I wouldn't encourage him to repeat? Why am I doubting my ability to perform a certain task and causing myself to fail because I won't try, just like he does? To be dramatic, why am I potentially setting myself up for a firing?

We are being tasked to step outside our comfort zone at work and expand our skill set. That sounds easy enough, yes? Except this particular skill set assignment is something I have always said, "That's not me. I don't know how to do that. I don't possess X, Y, and Z to really OWN this skill."

I am determined to stop talking and start listening. To myself. DOING something is simply focusing on learning the behaviors that will ACCOMPLISH the doing. Doing something is nothing more than breaking it down into learned bits, piecing it together into a cohesive unit, and putting it into action. Right? Right.

I can do this.

It will feel uncomfortable. It will feel unnatural. It will make me flushed and sweaty and I will be forced to speak slower than my usual 100 mph. And that's okay.

I preach to the kids "Learning never stops!!! Embrace it! Look for something new to learn each and every day!" Today, I stop preaching and start listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment