Monday, April 22, 2013

Monday Mumbles 8


1. Last Christmas, we did a gift exchange at work. I ended up with a big tin box of peppermint bark. It was DELICIOUS. We JUST finished it this past week, and the entire house was sad.

2. It might have taken that long because I am an anti-sugar mama who only dished out tiny morsels at a time.

3. I don't do much talking about work around these parts, but two occurrences this week are worth mentioning. My company turned 100 years old this year and we had a celebration at the downtown district. They had a party trolley to take us from the office buildings to the district, although it was walking distance. We hitched a ride!

4. Second, we acquired new employees through an acquisition of business. There has been a particular set of new folks who have made my job and life infinitely easier. I have been searching for ways to recognize them, but one gal beat me to the punch in reverse. She sent me a TOWER, literally. Six boxes stacked on top of one another, small to big, full of different chocolate treats. Her card simply said, "Thanks for the warm welcome and all the support since." This group is fantastic, and so is she.

5. Turner started tournaments with his 3rd grade basketball team this past weekend, and it's exciting now that it's an all 3rd grade team. Compared to the combined 3, 4, and 5 grades, they're playing against more equally sized opponents and our 3rd graders get more playing time.

6. Turner told me he only played one video game in the last week and a half. My response? Thank goodness!

7. We continue working with Owen on reading. It is so vastly different teaching him compared to Turner, so I'm reaching and attempting new and different techniques each night. My patience gets worn, but I am determined to have him reading full sentences without aid by August.

8. I was lounging in bed Sunday morning and sissy walked in.....with a purse on one shoulder and her feet in my heels. This happens a LOT.

9. I made the mistake of signing up for the Corporate Challenge 5k again. I was really hoping my slower "expected" time would knock me out of contention for competing, but it didn't. I run it on May 4, and just this Sunday ran a respectable time.

10. I'm ready to attend a Royals game. Who's in?

3 comments:

  1. Is there nothing better than fantastic co-workers? I have two girls I work with and you'd think one would of us would always feel like a 3rd wheel. Nope. We love working together and this has been for many months now.

    And good luck on that 5k. Can honestly say I'm glad it's you and not me!

    love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice mumbles! you covered a lot of stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interestingly enough, even though my kids all end up reading about the same time (except Dominic -- he's been reading since age 3 -- he's "special" LOL)...so anyway, my girls all ended up reading by about the same age, but they all learned differently. go figure.

    You will rock the 5K. sandbagger! :)

    ReplyDelete