Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Tuesday Owenisms 13


Monday morning, our family was at home. We had just come off a very long weekend of three Christmas celebrations and a wedding. Dad was relaxing in the back room, Evelyn had just woken up from her nap. Turner was busy playing with his neighborhood friend while Owen twiddled around, slowing down with every step.

He finally hit the wall. You know the wall. The one that suggests that every possible activity is utterly boring. The one that magnifies every teardrop and complaint. The wall that must be broken.

I broke it.

Mom:  Owen, I think it's time to take a break. Let's go relax for a minute.

Owen:  (sobbing)  Nooooo! I don't need a nap!!!

Mom:  (picking Owen up baby cradling style)  Sweetie, let's just go back to the bed and lie down for fifteen minutes. Let's just rest your body. I didn't say anything about a nap.

Owen:  (still sobbing)  Mooooooom. I don't wanna take a nap.

Mom:  (lying him down in the bed and covering him up without a tussle)  It'll be okay, Bubs. Just stay here for fifteen minutes and then you can come back out, refreshed. You'll feel much better.

Owen:  (tears rolling onto the pillow now)  But you won't come back in fifteen minutes! You're going to leave me here until I fall asleeeeeeeeeep!

He was spot on.

And it worked. 

1 comment: