Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Get Write Wednesday 6


Michelle asked once in a comment why I had a llama at the bottom of my blog. Truth be told, it's a favorite photo of mine from a visit we made to the alpaca farm. So, to begin, it's not a llama but an alpaca. But more importantly why is it a favorite?

I like the blurriness of the close-up.
I like the reflection in its eye.
I like the imperfections of its teeth.
I like the sharpness of the background.

It's like life, isn't it? When things are so close to you, when you're so close you're practically inside out, all things appear so blurry. Lines fade and you criss-cross over them again and again until you can't recall if you're in the right lane, middle, or left. Zoomed in a bit more, you wouldn't be able to discern the alpaca's upper lip fuzz from nose hairs. Getting so up close and personal with situations of the heart or mind can make you absolutely crazy. The over-analyzing and second-guessing will have you pulling u-turns and running red lights in the blink of an eye.

But what if all that draws you outside yourself, and you see things anew? You see your own reflection through your own analysis? Admitting who you are or how you feel can sometimes appear to be the easiest of all tasks, when in reality it's the harshest opinion of all with which one comes to terms. I oftentimes know who I want to be in a given situation, and I oftentimes know how I feel, or how I will feel, in a given situation. I think that's true most of the time because I don't spend a lot of time behind or in front of a zoom lens. I rarely allow myself to blur or be blurred. I tend to keep things rational and above the fray. Seeing myself in the reflection of the eye, or reflected in my mind, is something I am admittedly not comfortable doing.

What is comforting with this alpaca, though, is its proud display of imperfect teeth. Yes, it was simply reaching and sniffing for food. But truly, animals cannot possibly evaluate themselves as we do, they just are. Their comfort with imperfections is endearing and acceptable. Will we ever evolve into such a way? Probably not. And frankly I've never been good with admitting imperfections or putting myself in a position to fail and admit failure. Lately though, I wonder if the need to hide the flaws has hindered me from zooming in and feeling more, but also detracted me from zooming out and seeing the bigger picture.

Which brings us to the background. The dirty backdrop of the grounds already trodden, and the green of the leaves up high, and the partial view of those with whom this alpaca lives. The photo is focused on this one creature that received the attention briefly, separately, apart from anyone or anything else. But in the photo, things are greater than this alpaca. It's a habitat, it's others, it's nature, and it's a day. A day encompasses more than just one creature, one focus, one blown up piece of our attention. Figuring out how to balance the entire picture is what we must do, each and every day. Focal points are important but they aren't the finale, and in the same breath, the artist must be cognizant that focal points play a part in getting us to the final canvass.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I am glad to know what animal it is, for sure. And...I think the fact that animals are "comfortable" with imperfections is really just that since they aren't rational, they don't see perfect, vs. imperfect. The alpaca doesn't understand that its teeth are considered imperfect. I thin kyour point, though, that even if the alpaca could know that...it wouldn't care is well put.

    I rarely allow pictures of myself. And honestly, I overthink my blog a lot because I'm afraid to put out things for fear I may be misunderstood or -- bringing to light my true feelings on a particular subject, someone may close me down forever.

    I am working on just being who I am. It's hard...I am definitely a work in progress and fully admit to not having all the answers. But it's the balancing act of allowing others to see the real me and also giving myself space to feel comfortable with the real me that is difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an interesting photo - and with your description - it becomes "art."

    ReplyDelete