Thursday, January 1, 2015

January's Post (will it stand alone?)

It's a day of the week I can't exactly recall without effort. I'm fairly certain it's been THE longest January 1st I've had in a very long time. I'm happy to put 2014 behind me, but I also wish I could say I'm really looking forward to what 2015 will bring. I'm not necessarily all that excited.

I'm uncertain what it will bring and most of that unknown lies within me. I have choices. We all have choices. That was a silly statement. Every day, we encounter choices and decisions that create our future moments and days and years. What I mean to say is that some choices I have directly in front of me feel more looming and larger than those in my past, or recent past. Home and work related, all seeking some internal insight that I just don't feel I have at the current time. Or maybe I just don't have the strength to state my decisions out loud.

2014 took my Granny. It also took my Grandfather. In both instances I feel I didn't do all that I could to enjoy them while they were in my life. Is death always like that? No matter how much you love them or how much time you spend with them, does it ever feel like enough? I tell myself I should have dropped in and brought my Granny miscellaneous treats from time to time, or sat and actually asked my Grandpa to tell me a story instead of finding myself listening to one he started on his own. My promise is to try and help my kids live more in the moment than what I've found myself doing in my lifetime.

Cleaning. I ended 2014 with a LOT of cleaning, purging, and rearranging. We cleansed the kids' rooms of unnecessary small toys that really found no love. I consolidated and trashed things, and made room for new fun 'toys' like floor chairs and bean bags and lamps. The tree came down on the 26th, we rearranged the living room furniture on the 31st. I find that a new set-up can help the feel of a room. The other arrangement was around for far too long.

I'm not much for making resolutions but I've added one to my planner. On the first of every month, I've noted to send greeting cards. I like to do that anyway, but I sit on them for too long and sometimes fail to send them as timely as I could. Hopefully this will help me. And maybe it'll prompt me to add another resolution to my to-do. Maybe just one resolution per month? Maybe just one big decision per month?

The kids were spoiled this holiday season. I hope they know it. I hope they enjoy it. I hope it continues for their entire lives. Be good people, receive good love. Simple as that.

1 comment:

  1. I missed this and here I am on my lunch break noticing it. I've had a hard time with new year's resolutions as of late. Mostly because I feel like that when I make a decision to change something, I'm just going to do it right then and not wait for a new year. so when the new year rolls around, I can't think of anything I want to change because if I had already thought of it, I'd already attempted it.

    I love rearranging furniture. we're actually hitting a point where we can truly start looking to buy a new house. I'm planning to be particularly choosy this go-round and make sure I get what I want...and I hope I can afford it, LOL

    My family was spoiled as well. And I hope life can always be so simple.

    ReplyDelete